Thursday, August 27, 2009

What nutritional guidelines should I follow before getting pregnant?

Still in try-to-conceive-mode. I knew maybe this topic is not interesting, however to me its important as im trying to have a baby now. I do not want Amirul and his brother/sister have a big age gap like me and brother before me, 5 years gap. My brother after me is 6 years gap. The big gap between siblings pros and cons. The survey on ideal gap between children done by Baby Centre showed 69% agreed on 18months to 3 years gap and only 10% vote for 4 or more years gap. You can throw your vote here.

So i think, now is the perfect time for me to conceive again; Amirul now 18months. Besides physical and mental preparation, foods also the main factor to consider. What is the foods that recommended before get pregnant, do i need to take supplement/vitamins, is there any foods that prohibited if i would like to conceive. Many questions come across my mind. Again !!!!

Food that recommended before get pregnant


Foods Pyramid
  • Fruit and vegetables - these can be fresh, frozen, tinned, dried or a glass of juice. Aim for at least five portions a day.
  • Carbohydrate foods such as bread, pasta, rice and potatoes.
  • Protein such as lean meat and chicken, fish, eggs and pulses (beans and lentils).
  • Fish, at least twice a week, including some oily fish, but don't have more than two portions of oily fish a week. This includes fresh tuna (not canned tuna, which does not count as oily fish), mackerel, sardines and trout.
  • Dairy foods such as milk, cheese and yoghurt, which contain calcium.
  • Iron rich foods, such as red meat, pulses, dried fruit, bread, green vegetables and fortified breakfast cereals, to build up your resources of iron in preparation for pregnancy.
Food that prohibited before get pregnant (source Baby Centre)
  • Foods that may have high levels of listeria, such as pate and soft cheesesvitamin
  • Supplements and foods, such as liver, containing the retinol form of vitamin A, which can harm the developing baby (the beta-carotene form of vitamin A is safe during pregnancy)
  • Too much oily fish that may contain high levels of mercury and pollutants -
  • Current advice is to limit yourself to two portions a week peanuts, if your family has a history of asthma, hay fever or eczema
  • Excessive amounts of alcohol,
  • Consuming too much caffeine
  • Using drugs inappropriately
  • Folic Acid - 0.4mg or 400 micrograms (mcg) folic acid supplement every day.body needs folate to manufacture new cells and genetic material , reduce the risk of their baby developing an NTD
  • Calcium - prevent a new mother from losing her own bone density as the fetus uses the mineral for bone growth
Note : Healthy foods - i seldom eat veggie and drink less water
Food prohibited - semua pn aku xmakan
Supplement/vitamins - folic acid : i've took on and off.. afetr this kena consistent la
- calcium : from dairy products

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Blog

Dear Readers, welcome to my personal blog. This blog is about the story of my little family and its members. You can find my posts are mostly about parenting and family matters. Some of my posts are not concerning parenthood at all like cooking and shopping because I would like some diversify in my parenthood blog. Sharing information to my fellow friends and loyal reader is the main reason to build this parenthood blog.

Parenting is not something we have to keep it to ourselves, but to share.

Subscribe Full RSS Here

KambingBujang

My name is kambingbujang. I am 27-year old mum with Amirul beside me. Now I'm carrying around his future younger brother/sister in my tummy.

Feel free to be my friend on facebook. (thank you, I know I'm cute). Follow me on my birdie twitter. If you're in a mood of writing email to me, shoot it via kambing.huda@gmail.com.



  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP