Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cloth Diaper Lifespan

While browsing DiaperAsia, i found this thread and really caught my attention. Cloth diaper lifespan. As we know, cloth diaper meant for rewashed, reused, and recycle. But how long the cloth diaper can be used. Does it lifetime usage or after certain period of time, it will wear out. There must be factors to be considered for longing the life span of cloth diaper.

After few research, i found few articles which help me to gather and identify factors affecting cloth diaper lifespan.

Cloth Diaper Material
  • Polyurethane Lamiante (PUL) elastic may crack from repeated drying which will then cause leaks.
  • Washing diaper covers and/or AIO with vinegar can damage the waterproofing capability.
  • High heat may damage CDs waterproofing abilities while tumble drying will shorten the life-span of CDs.
  • Always hang dry diaper covers and wraps; Placing them in the dryer will ruin their waterproof qualities.
Washing & Care Method
  • Do not wash / dry on HOT / HIGH HEAT - This may shorten the lifespan of some CDs. Elastic of CDs will stretch, weaken.
  • Avoid using washing powder that contain fabrics softener, bleach and enzymes. Bleach causes premature breaking of the fibers and fabric softener adds a coating to the diapers that make them less absorbent.
  • Using laundry bag may prolong the CD lifespan and reduce wear out of CD's
  • Close any velcro tabs before placed into washing machine.
  • Do not used vinegar frequently; they may cause diaper with elastic to break down and shorten the CDs lifespan
  • Sun drying (when the weather permits!) is excellent for bleaching out stains, and killing of any leftover bacteria, and will also keep CDs functioning well for longer.
Actually how long is the lifespan of the CD's is subjective. Its all depend on you, how you wash, how you take care of it, how frequent you wear the CDs. Its similar to your clothes. People get holes on their panties after few months. The elastic will wear out if you do not have proper washing handling. So there is no concrete answer to this question. Read here and here may give you more info's cloth diaper lifespan.





2 comments:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Deborah

    http://maternitymotherhood.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for visiting. hope my point of view may give good info for you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

About Blog

Dear Readers, welcome to my personal blog. This blog is about the story of my little family and its members. You can find my posts are mostly about parenting and family matters. Some of my posts are not concerning parenthood at all like cooking and shopping because I would like some diversify in my parenthood blog. Sharing information to my fellow friends and loyal reader is the main reason to build this parenthood blog.

Parenting is not something we have to keep it to ourselves, but to share.

Subscribe Full RSS Here

KambingBujang

My name is kambingbujang. I am 27-year old mum with Amirul beside me. Now I'm carrying around his future younger brother/sister in my tummy.

Feel free to be my friend on facebook. (thank you, I know I'm cute). Follow me on my birdie twitter. If you're in a mood of writing email to me, shoot it via kambing.huda@gmail.com.



  © Blogger template Coozie by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP